The spa of Banja Koviljača is situated in the western part of Serbia on the right bank of the river Drina. In this area, you can encounter the highland region of Jadar, slightly uneven Pocerina and fertile land of Mačva. Natural attractions that geographically determine Banja Koviljača are: Gučevo Mountain, the river Drina, fertile lowland of Lozničko polje and sulphuric waters of Banja Koviljača.
The place with ideal life conditions has been inhabited since the earliest epoch of civilization until today. The first written record of Koviljača was made in 1533, where it was listed a settlement in the region Bohorina, the name still exists today, but slightly changed, depending on the region. In the area covered in swumps, situated around the spring of sulphuric water, there arouse the spa, where even wealthy Turks with their families were coming on a holiday. Later, the first women’s hamam (Turkish bathroom) was built in the same place. Originally, the spa of Banja was first called Smrdan Bara, then Smrdan Banja, and finally, it was named after village Koviljača, or it got its name “ Banja Koviljača“ after beautiful plants. Such Banja was mentioned in Vuk Karadzić’s writings of the year 1827, and renovation of derelict Banja started in the half of 19th century. In 1855, state chemist Ilić did the first chemical analysis, and especially important for Banja is the year 1898, when according to the Act of the National Assembly, Banja was assigned to the people of Podrinje Region for 50 years. Since then, the place started developing comparing present-day tourism development. In 1907, the main sulphur bathroom was built, together with two bigger swimming pools for group therapies, and 40 tubs for individual baths. In the year 1910, the construction of railway Šabac – Banja Koviljača began. There followed the building of Banja’s villas: Koviljača, Dalmatia, Herzegovina, hotel Belgrade, and in area of 40 hectares, one of the most beautiful parks of Serbia was set up. The highest achievement in an array of architectural works happened in 1932, when luxurious Banja’s hall “Kur-salon” was opened, and even today, it is seen as the symbol of the Serbian hospitality. The upcoming war prevented Banja Koviljaca from further rapid development, but in the post-war period, Banja started modernizing its tourist and treatment offers. Today, Banja Koviljača is a modern touristic place with a wide variety of accommodation types: hotels, recreation centers, boarding houses, craft shops, and the guests can choose among various restaurants, taverns, pizza cafes, and coffee bars. Recently, the offer includes The Specialized Hospital for Rehabilitation and Royal Spa Hotel as well.